Sunday, August 18, 2013

Update from the President's Desk

Good evening everyone,

Before all the busyness and excitement of the first week of classes begins, I thought I would send a quick update of what has been happening on my end.

I traveled to Casper August 1-2 for a planning session with the Wyoming Community College presidents where we discussed Wyoming’s Complete College America goals, the upcoming legislative session, and the Wyoming Community College Commission’s strategic plan. The presidents and I spent a great deal of time discussing how student success should be defined for our students. We decided that the components include enrollment, retention, completion, and job placement. Over the coming months, you will be hearing more about this issue.

In order to make connections in the community, I have been attending Rotary Club meetings on Wednesdays. I will be transferring my membership in Miles City to the Powell Club. On August 5th, I attended a Forward Cody meeting, which is Cody’s Chamber of Commerce. The speaker briefed us on the impacts of Affordable Care Act. That evening I hosted our volleyball team at my home for dinner. 

The Vice Presidents and I met off campus August 7-8 to discuss strategic and operational planning.

The Trustee meeting was held on August 12 in Meeteetse. At the meeting, in addition to hearing regular reports the board discussed the line of credit with the foundation for the Yellowstone building and creating a Foundation Resource Collaboration Group to create a more formalized mechanism to identify meaningful projects for donors that fit within the college’s strategic goals for the future. Following the meeting a welcome reception was held at the museum.

I had the pleasure of welcoming in the RA’s to campus August 13th. On August 14th, I spent the morning with our emergency operations planning committee and the consultants with whom we have been working to finalize our campus Emergency Operations Plan.

Last Thursday, August 15, the Trustees held a summer retreat with facilitators Drs. Cindra Smith and Walt Packard. They discussed policy governance, board roles, key issues for the college, and their expectations of me as your new president.

I have also been meeting with various individuals, getting tours, and receiving briefings on upcoming events, issues, and contract deadlines.

This week, in addition to our opening day events, I get to welcome many different student groups and organizations to campus. This is my favorite time of the year. I love the excitement and sense of hope a new school year brings.

On a personal note, on August 7th my husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, we went to the Beartooths for our first overnight backpacking trip as a family. We started at Island Lake and hiked into Becker Lake. On the way home we stopped at the Clay Butte Fire Lookout Tower.

Many of you have asked how we are settling in. The outdoor recreational opportunities here are so great, we can’t seem to prioritize unpacking. I figure there will be time for that on cold winter days before ski season is in full swing.

Have a great week!

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment