Monday, August 4, 2014

Legislative Update

The following is an excerpt from a recent update I sent to our local legislators:

CREDIT TRANSFER TO UW
We had a very productive meeting with UW President Dick McGinity and key staff members earlier this month when they came to Powell to discuss UW acceptance of our transfer students’ credits. It’s a frequently-mentioned concern among our current and prospective students, their parents and high school counselors. NWC participants included academic Division Chair, VPs for Academic Affairs and College Relations, Registrar, and myself. Joining President McGinity were his Associate VP for Academic Affairs, Coordinator of Student Success and Transitions, and Associate Director of UW Extension. In addition to credit transfer, we also discussed the potential of increased UW degree offerings in Park County. They listened closely to our concerns and suggestions. My sense is that Dick is taking the issues seriously, and I appreciate the commitment they made to come to our campus for discussions. Naturally, we want to see our transfer students attend the state’s only four-year university. We’ve worked closely with UW in the past and will continue doing so. I look forward to productive discussions as the JEIC considers this topic.

BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROCEEDING WELL
Construction of our new Yellowstone Building is going well. Our Instructional Technology and Computing Services staffs have considerable work ahead of them in the building however. The first space occupied will be classrooms, and the dividable Conference Center. We have the luxury of transitioning into the rest of the building over time. I’m excited that my second annual Fall State of the College Address on August 20th will be in the Yellowstone Building’s Conference Center! We anticipate an October building dedication ceremony. Legislative funding was paramount in providing just over 60% of funding for the building.

FACILITIES MASTER PLAN APPROVED
Our Trustees recently approved the new Facility Master Plan, which the college is required to update every five years. It provides a strong road map for development of the physical campus. Projects in the plan total 10s of millions of dollars, with construction of a new DeWitt Student Center being the top unmet need. Completing such enormous projects will undoubtedly require a variety of funding sources.

MEETEETSE VISIT
I spent most of the day on July 2nd getting to know Meeteetse residents. Thanks to Trustee Nada Larsen, I got a first-class introduction to that unique community and its members. I heard several great ideas for ways NWC can improve its service to that area of our district.

NEW DINING SERVICE COMPANY
We’ve selected a company, Chartwells, to provide dining services to our students. Chartwells has developed a higher education niche and has a strong reputation for understanding, engaging and satisfying students with tailored campus dining service operations. Chartwells assumed operations in July, replacing Aramark with which Northwest contracted for about 25 years. I’m pleased to let you know that the new company has rehired Ken Beebe, longtime Director on campus, and that off-campus catering to community groups will remain a part of services provided.

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment