Thursday, October 16, 2014

Update from the President's Desk

Below is a copy of a recent report I submitted to the Board of Trustees:

National:

As you may recall, I was recently named to the Higher Education Research and Development Institute (HERDI) national advisory board. I will be attending its semi-annual meeting in Chicago, IL October 20-22, 2014 prior to the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) meeting October 23-25, 2014.

On November 15, 2014, I will be facilitating a session at the American Association for Women in Community Colleges (AAWCC) CEO retreat in Stevensville, MD.

State:

On September 24 I attended an Executive Council meeting in Casper with Jim Rose, Executive Director of the Wyoming Community College Commission and the other Wyoming community college presidents. We discussed performance objectives and our legislative agenda.

The University of Wyoming brought a group of their new faculty accompanied by President Dick McGinity, Vice President for Student Affairs Sara Axelson, and Vice president for Government and Community Affairs, Chris Boswell to campus on October 3rd. Vice President Kitchen gave them a campus tour and we hosted a luncheon for them attended by our faculty members in the lobby of the Science Math Building. UW hosted a dinner that evening held in the Yellowstone Building for legislators and Powell community leaders. I am pleased with President McGinity’s commitment to address transfer and articulation issues.

I had the opportunity to serve as a panelist at the 4th Annual Summit on Community Colleges on October 9, 2014, in Laramie, WY. The panel focused on defining student success. Other panelists included an industry representative, a student, a Wyoming Community College Commissioner and a legislator. (SP1.1) One of the keynote speakers at the Summit was Kay McClenney, former Executive Director of the Center for Community College Student Engagement (CCCSE). I worked for her as a research assistant in the Center when I was a graduate student at UT Austin.

Community:

With the end of summer has come numerous meetings and community events in Powell and Cody that I have participated including the Buffalo Bill Art Show which I attended with art major Gabriela Rodriguez and the Patrons Ball which I attended with Shelby Wetzel.

I was honored to be the keynote speaker at the regional Soropitmist meeting on Sunday, September 28. I spoke to their theme, “Leading from the Heart.”

Campus:

In addition to working on the enrollment data report and addressing current and future facility needs, my campus focus this month has been on studying campus operational efficiencies and policy.
Foundation:

Foundation Executive Director Shelby Wetzel and I continue to strategize ways to maximize our fundraising efforts to meet college needs.

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment