Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Giving Thanks

As we approach the Thanksgiving Holiday, I am thankful to be a part of the Northwest College family. Last week was one of those times when I had multiple opportunities to gush about NWC. My pride in our students and gratitude for all that our staff and faculty do fills my soul.

Last Wednesday evening, I had the opportunity to attend the NJCAA National Volleyball Tournament Banquet with a group of young ladies and coaching staff that made me beam with pride to accompany them. The following day they beat the nation's top-ranked team and went on to finish 4th overall. When I visited with them over Facetime on Friday afternoon I told them that setting goals is about making it to the national tournament, but beating the number one team in the country and playing in the final four is what dreams are made of. Ladies, I am proud of you! Congratulations.

On Thursday night, my family and I attended the annual Native Ways Buffalo Feast. Not only was the performer amazing, the organization of the event and the food were superb. Through dance, music, and comedy, Supaman (pictured with me below) shared a powerful message with us that night.

I appreciate his willingness to perform at NWC, as well as visit classes and meet with us to discuss ways we can better recruit and retain Native students. Chris, thanks again for demonstrating the power of kindness and gratitude.

Supaman and President Hicswa

There was a Arapaho quote on a card at the Buffalo Feast that said, "When we show respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us." The same can be said for the power of gratitude.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment