Monday, December 22, 2014

Happy Holidays!

This holiday season many people have said to me, "I don't know how you do it." As many of you know, I have two elementary sons involved in hockey. So in addition to the regular activities and tasks that come with preparing for the holidays, we have been traveling for hockey tournaments around the state this month.

I find that reconciling my expectations for the holidays helps me enjoy the season much more. For gifts, I streamline as much as possible and get books or itunes gift cards for all my nieces and nephews. I make only one special holiday treat on December weekends that I am home rather than trying to juggle ingredients for 15 or more different recipes. I decorate my house Thanksgiving weekend and call it good. All my decorations didn't get up this year and I have accepted this reality.

The best thing I have done over the years to save time and energy is to create a grocery list that I keep in a special journal with all of my holiday recipes and family memories. This time of year I just pull it out and I don't even need to think about what I need because I already know I am going to cook over the break. Oddly, my grocery list includes sauerkraut, dried yellow peas, fish, and lima beans for the Hicswa family Valia (also spelled Wigilia) tradition that my husband's grandparents celebrated as children in Poland. Part of the tradition includes bestowing wishes for the new year. My wish for you is that you have balance in your days so that you have time to enjoy the sunrise, savor moments with the children in your lives, and find joy in the interactions you have with the people around you.

Best wishes for a most wonderful holiday season!

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment