Monday, May 4, 2015

Remembering Alan Jeffs

Alan Jeffs
NWC custodian Alan Jeffs passed away last week. As I grieve the loss of this kind man, I am struck by the flood of memories I have of my interactions with him. On a regular basis he brought me sometimes secret, sometimes not-so-secret deliveries of fish he had smoked from his most recent fishing trip.

He was always happy. He always had a positive outlook. He would always stop whatever he was doing to visit with me.

As many of you know, he was also a bit of a jokester.

Alan: "What do you use to give a dolphin a bath?"
Stefani: "I don't know. What?"
Alan: "All porpoise cleaner."
Stefani: "Boo."
Alan: "But it made you laugh"
Stefani: "True."

And, I am still laughing. My family and I have started calling the bottle of Lysol bathroom spray, dolphin cleaner - all because of Alan.

The week before he died, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home. I was a bit frazzled after a busy day and was focused on getting in and out of the store as quickly as possible. Upon getting out of my car and shutting the door, I heard a loud noise. I looked around. Opened the car door. Closed it. And looked around some more.

That was when I saw Alan parked right beside me laughing. He had honked his horn precisely to correspond with me shutting my car door. Not only did he make me laugh, he made my day. He was instantly able to get me out of my funk and put a smile on my face.

Alan, may you continue to find all the best streams and the biggest fish. We will miss you!

What are your favorite Alan memories?

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment