Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Update from the President's Desk

The following is an excerpt from my monthly report to the Board of Trustees:

State
The Joint Appropriations Interim Committee (JAIC) laid back its Subcommittee’s bill draft to modify the community colleges’ standard budget request process for state appropriations earlier this fall. The Joint Appropriations Committee budget hearing for community colleges will be held December 11 in Cheyenne.

I continue to sign articulation agreements between NWC and UW. I am pleased with the progress that has been made and the time our faculty have committed to this initiative.

Trustee Spomer and I attend the Governor’s Business Forum in Cheyenne November 17-18 with a number of other Park County business owners and community leaders. Business professor Lisa Satterlee also attended with three students. I traveled with economic development board members from the Powell Economic Partnership and Forward Cody. I had the opportunity to serve as a panelist from the Northwestern Region for the Tour 23 presentation on Wednesday morning. On Tuesday evening, former Powell economic development director Dave Reetz was named to the Wyoming Business Hall of Fame.

Community
I continue my involvement on the Forward Cody and Powell Economic Partnership (PEP) Boards. Foundation Executive Director Shelby Wetzel and I are working with PEP Executive Director Christine Bekes to identify additional lodging options in Powell. On December 10, I will present to the Park County Leadership class on the topic of conflict management.

Campus
We are planning an emergency drill to be held over spring break in preparation for a campus- wide drill with community first responders this summer.

We are analyzing individual components of the Strategic Enrollment Management report from the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) consultant who visited campus this summer. Our Strategic Enrollment Management Team has reviewed recommendations for short-term and long-term implementation and has begun implementing some of the short-term solutions.

I continue to work on refining our college policies. We have identified areas of policy that are missing and are drafting policy language.  As well, in working with the College Council, we are compiling the Board of Trustees’ Rules and Regulations, Employee Handbook, Student Handbook, portions of the College Catalog, and various other documents into a comprehensive Board policy manual.

I continue to meet weekly with our Student Senate President, Sam Jones. I meet monthly with constituent group Presidents and hold all-employee meetings Friday afternoon before Board of Trustees meetings. In addition, I have been holding regular VP transition meetings with Vice Presidents Watson and Giraud and facilities planning meetings with Foundation Executive Director Shelby Wetzel, Ms. Watson, and Dr. Giraud.

We have embarked on a Mission Statement review process with input from the campus. Data from employees were compiled into a questionnaire, which was given to faculty and staff following my August State of the College Address. Following employee input as part of our Mission Statement revision process, we broadened our request for input to include area residents at a successful on-campus public meeting October 1. We have analyzed the results and are in the process of finalizing the process to include student input. The data will be used to update our current Mission Statement.

As part of our campus-wide strategic visioning process to develop the next iteration of our strategic plan, the Institutional Effectiveness Committee will recommend Key Performance Indicators following your approval of the Institutional Priorities.

Foundation
Foundation Executive Director Shelby Wetzel and I are discussing timelines and workloads for the college’s next capital campaign. This campaign will include projects related to strategic planning, facilities, landscaping, and athletics. We are also in the process of reviewing the MOU between NWC and the Foundation as well as the MOU between the Foundation and the Booster Club.

Kudos to our Foundation for being named among the nation’s top 25 community colleges with enrollments under 2,000 FTE.

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment