Thursday, November 3, 2016

The night I spent in the Salt Lake Airport

A few months ago I spent the night in the Salt Lake Airport. Due to weather delays and mechanical issues, my flight arrived back in Salt Lake after a failed attempt to land in Cody at about 1:00 a.m.  I needed to board a special flight 4 hours later to again fly to Cody.

As I was trying settle myself to get some sleep, I began thinking about how privileged I was to sleep on a bench in an airport. I was safe. I was warm. I had access to food. Not everyone in our communities are so lucky. Some of them are even NWC students. 

The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty estimates there are between 2.3 and 3.5 million Americans annually who experience homelessness. Wyoming's homeless population resembles the homeless population nationwide. Women and children each make up just over half of Wyoming's homeless and thirty-five percent are part of a family who are without a home.

The Food Research and Action Center estimates that 14.6 % of households in Wyoming experienced food insecurity from 2011-2013. Of the children who eat school lunches, 40.7% participate in the free and reduced lunch program. 

Thankful to sleep in an airport,

Stefani

No comments:

Post a Comment