Friday, February 3, 2017

The Sound of Silence

Recently, I was listening to a remake of Simon and Garfunkel's 1964 song, "Sounds of Silence" by the heavy metal band, Disturbed. The lyric, "and no one dared disturb the sound of silence" caught my attention.

I started thinking about the consequences if no one dares to disturb the sound of silence regarding the value of diversity and the positive impact it has on our global society. Valuing diversity is certainly important to me; as well, I am proud that NWC has a long tradition of valuing diversity.

In fact, the new NWC Mission Statement begins with the phrase, "In the context of our global society..." At Northwest College, we understand that we have an important role in shaping a multicultural society. We intentionally recruit a diverse student body and prioritize cross-cultural learning opportunities and events for our students and community.

Twenty years ago, I taught an honors seminar on tolerance. One of the readings I assigned was "Night" by Elie Wiesel. The lessons on tolerance in his book are as appropriate today as they were during Wiesel's imprisonment as a teenager in Nazi Germany.

May you find opportunities to be more tolerant of others' differences and seek opportunities to give voice to the many forms of diversity around you.

Have a good weekend,
Stefani
P.S. If you have not yet heard Disturbed's version of "The Sound of Silence" I have included it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment